Sunday 30 January 2011

Week 4

Hello, my name is Minsoo and I will be filling in for Rachel for this week. As you can tell, this entry is a week late. Now you can experience African Time first hand without actually going to Africa. What a deal. I do sincerely apologize for the delay on behalf of my unusually late self – it only happens every morning from Monday through Friday (okay. In all seriousness, it IS a character flaw and I AM trying to fix it). But enough about me, myself, and I. Without further ado, let me walk you through events that transpired during week four.

On Monday, we finally finalized (+1 for word choice) our schedule for the outreach. Week four into outreach sounds a bit late, but considering all the circumstances beyond our control, we reacted quite well. Only best is expected from the best outreach team ever! (You can quote me on that)

On Tuesday, we did something different and special. At Gabriel’s invitation, we had the privilege of visiting the National Parliament of South Africa (Note to Americans: it’s like the Congress). We visited various rooms (board rooms, assembly, Speaker’s office, etc) and prayed for South Africa and the African continent. As South Africa is one of the most influential countries in Africa, whatever happens in its government usually sets a precedent for the entire continent. So to be able to pray in/for the seat of power was amazing.

On Wednesday, we also had a special event on top of our regular schedule. We met in Gabriel’s house (Doesn’t Gabriel sound like such a nice guy? I hope he reads this) and had a prophecy session. To put it bluntly, the results left our group with mixed feelings, but it was a refreshing/interesting experience overall.

On Thursday, the girls of the outreach team started a Girl’s Club in a township called Mfuleni. Though they reported it to be awkward at first (by the way, I am a guy), the girls (whom we are reaching out to) opened up. Because we sought to disciple people during outreach, we believe that there is a great potential for this ministry.

On Friday, we continued with our anti-trafficking presentations by going on trains and handing out flyers. It was very awkward at first, but most people were keen to listen to a bunch of foreigners (especially the “Chinaman” – by the way, I am actually Korean) talk. Because the trains are crowded and people cannot go anywhere to avoid our presentations, we found it a quite effective way to raise awareness on the issue of human trafficking.

On Saturday, we rested.

On Sunday, we went to an African church and danced. The atmosphere was very thick with heat, moisture and God stuff. Our beloved member Mikkel also gave a short sermon with translation. We also led part of the worship time. It was our first time leading/assisting a service, so we were quite nervous (and there were some technical difficulties), but overall it went very well. We ended our week (let’s pretend for a moment that week ends on Sundays) with beach soccer ministry (a.k.a Sunday Soccer Service, a.k.a. Triple S)

I apologize if this entry was boring. You know, it is extremely hard to follow up on the quick-wittedness of my British counterpart. I tried. I hope you (the reader) have a wonderful week and keep us in your prayers!

My name is Minsoo Kim and I approve this message.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment