Friday 18 February 2011

Week Five

I'm guessing you're wondering why there's two entries for week five. I'm gonna blame not-enough-sleep - I got confused. Anyway, heres's the second week five entry:

This week's entry has been stolen from Elise:

This week has been the best week yet.   Monday afternoon we went to the Masiphumelele Library. This library is partnering with a program called Ikamva Youth.  Ikamva Youth is a non-profit organization focused on the empowerment of youth through education, e-literacy training and career guidance.
Most of my team is helping tutoring high school kids. I decided against the tutoring because it has been many years since I graduated from college and I felt like I would need a refresher course before I tutored anyone. Thankfully there is a girls group at the Library which needed volunteers. Rachel and I will be helping with that every Monday.
Tuesday morning the SBS (YWAM School of Biblical Studies) invited us to their worship session. After worship, I felt really refreshed and ready to do ministry.  We went to Sibongile and then did Trafficking awareness that afternoon on a busy street.  For the most part we received good responses except one guy wanted to buy some of my team that was tied up for the demonstration.
Wednesday morning I shared a devotion at Living Grace and our team helped in serving/preparing and sorting out the food for the week.
On Thursday I celebrated my birthday with a special breakfast. After that we painted fence posts at Sibongile.   My team surprised me with a vegan chocolate cake, a serenade, and then they prayed for me.  Later that afternoon we went Mfuleni for the girls club.  It went really well.   The girls already want to plan something special before we leave so we can spend more time together.
Friday morning we did Human Trafficking awareness on the train to and from Cape Town. We hopped from train car to train car handing out flyers and talking to people.  For me it is always a little challenging starting the first conversation with someone but it gets easier the more people I talk too.  I have to remind myself this is helping save people’s lives by bringing awareness.  Then we had a surprise lunch at Mzoli’s.  Mzoli’s is a restaurant located in the Gugulethu township where you pick out the meat you want and they braai it for you. The word braai is Afrikaans for what Americans would call a “barbecue” or “grill”.  When I first arrived in South Africa I was warned not to call the braai a barbecue because it is an insult to South Africans because they think their braii is so much better.   The food was delicious.  The meat was served in huge bowl that was filled with beef, lamb, and pork which everyone at our table shared.
For our day off on Saturday we went to a National Park called the Cape of Good Hope.  There were a lot of beautiful sights and we saw baboons and ostriches.  Although the baboons look cute they are dangerous.  There are signs up at the park with warnings not to feed them or get close to them

No comments:

Post a Comment